First off, there are many ways to make french toast, and none of them are bad (in my humble opinion). But, I always forget that it’s an option until I have stale bread and no ideas for breakfast. However, now that I’ve made it once, my daughter is obsessed and wants to make it every morning (Definitely not happening – but, I’ve given in a few times. Let’s be honest, I want to eat it, too). French toast sticks are perfect for small hands. No utensils required.
Here’s what you’ll need:
French Toast Ingredients:
- Bread (the more stale the better – you don’t want your sticks to be floppy. We like to use Texas toast for the thickness factor)
- Two eggs
- 1/3 cup of milk
- Butter to fry
- 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon mixed (optional)
- Cut the bread into sticks. We get about 3 sticks from each piece of bread, but we’ve done 4, as well.
- Whisk together eggs and milk. Make sure the container is big enough to dip the bread into. We poured ours into a pie pan.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Roll bread in egg mixture, shake off excess, and place in pan.
- Cook each side until golden brown.
- Roll the freshly cooked sticks in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. You’ll want to do this quickly so that the mixture sticks well.
- Try not to eat too many.
You can dip them in syrup if you like, but we’ve found that they are sweet enough without.
Note: Alli wanted to try putting the sugar on before cooking.Since I’m all for experimenting we did it! It resulted in a slightly more caramelized version. But, they were still tasty.
Let us know what your favorite french toast recipe is. We are always willing to try new recipes.